allergies - confirmed

Lucas was seen by an allergist today. His arms did indeed light up like a xmas tree.
TOTALLY AVOID PEANUTS. ANAPHYLAXIS IS POSSIBLE. USE EPIPEN AT FIRST SIGN OF ANY ALLERGIC REACTION ON EATING OR SUSPECTED EATING, EVEN IF REACTION IS ONLY MINOR, AND PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO NEAREST HOSPITAL. AVOID ALL FOODS LABELLED "MAY CONTAIN (TRACES OF) PEANUTS" and "PROCESSED IN A PLANT THAT ALSO PROCESSES PEANUTS." Contaminated foods are just as dangerous: this could be as innocent as jam jars if a knife was ever used in the PB jar, PB cookie crumbs in an old cookie tin, PB caked onto a utensil after the dishwasher, etc.

TOTALLY AVOID ALL DAIRY, EGG YOLK, EGG WHITE, GELATIN, JELLO, SOY, LAMB, and prolonged contact with CATS. ANAPHYLAXIS IS LESS LIKELY, BUT POSSIBLE depending on amount eaten. Use Benadryl if a minor allergic reaction happens on eating these foods accidentally. USE EPIPEN IF THE REACTION WORSENS OR IS SEVERE (e.g., body hives, facial swelling, trouble breathing, etc) and proceed to nearest hospital.

Avoid these foods as a precaution: NUTS, SHELLFISH, FISH.

These foods are unlikely to cause an allergic reaction, but if it occurs, stop the food: Flax, sesame and other seeds, beef, veal, wheat, barley, canned tuna, canned salmon, soy oil, soy lecithin, and soy sauce.

So, at least now we know (exactly) what we're dealing with, and we also know what we don't have to deal with: strawberries, capsicum (green peppers), corn and beef are all ok, as are dogs and rabbits. Nothing to report on environmental issues, like dust mites, spores and such either.

Luckily, there are a few decent recipe sites like http://www.fastq.com/%7Ejbpratt/recipes/allergiesintol/desserts.html that can help us find safe alternatives to everyday foods. It'll be hard on us though, when he'll ask why he can't have what other kids are all having...


Since we stopped giving him milk and soy products, his eczema has cleared up completely. There are other foods that we have to be very careful with, though, since he broke out in hives all over after a vaccine (which contained albumen, so we are assuming he's severely allergic to eggs) and had an anaphylactic reaction after another vaccine (which was supposed to be non-allergenic). We've also completely refrained from introducing any wheat products, honey and all peanuts/tree nuts, just in case. You can imagine that doing the groceries is a little challenging, but we found some interesting everything-free things today. Wouldn't you know it, though, he started getting hives and vomited a pile of mucous, which he hasn't had since we figured out what he was allergic to. So, either he's allergic to something previously considered safe, or he accidentally ingested something "bad" (either from the floor or from our hands contaminated with something). Great. Luckily it was a mild reaction, because we have an allergist appointment tomorrow and can't give him any antihistamine for 48h beforehand so the tests can work. I'm half expecting Lucas to light up like a xmas tree after the testing. Sigh. At least we'll have a better idea.